Replacing the windows in this Grade II Listed Building was never an option, so 360 Medical carried out a carefully phased refurbishment of all 106 original wooden sash windows in the west wing.
Built in 1909 in the early 18th Century style with flush framed architrave sashes, the wooden frames in this administration block were badly neglected.
Working to a strict programme to allow the incumbent staff to vacate each floor in turn, it was all hands on deck to facilitate this extensive window refurbishment, with 33 windows per floor across 3 floors and a further 7 in the stairwell.
An extensive scaffold was built over four floors to the West wing elevation to facilitate access to all the windows. The scaffold had to be alarmed and secured during works.
On the East wing due to access issues for emergency vehicles making scaffolding unsuitable, 360 made extensive use of MEWPs (mobile elevated work platforms). Enabling works to allow MEWP access include removal of fencing and laying a temporary road to protect the pathways and grassed areas.
Once each office had been cleared and secured, each window was individually removed and refurbished in-situ. All rotten wood was replaced where necessary, new cords, weights and final balancing of the sashes will hopefully make them last for another 100 years (with a bit of continued care and attention).