Client: Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust
Project Value: £190,000
Contract Period: 4 Months
The brief was to create a pioneering care environment for patients with dementia, making important – but often simple – changes in elderly care wards.
Changes that have taken place include:
- Themed and colour coded ward bays to make them easier for patients to identify
- Installing movement sensing lights to help patients navigate the ward at night
- Plain, matt flooring to give patients more confidence when walking around
- Staff work areas in each individual ward bay so nurses can be closer to patients and their relatives
- A social area for patients with relevant activities and social dining. A cinema room to help relax patients (an idea sparked by the benefits seen when patients watched the Olympics together)
- A ‘sensory area’ to provide a calming environment
360 Medical were contracted to provide the complete project management and construction services for the strip back and refurbishment of the wards.